e the blog o' moosh
 

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The ones who drive 4 by 4's are laughing! They don't care how much they pay.

My things you didn't know about me, as instructed by mar-c:


I wrote a fanzine when I was at college. Not just any fanzine - furry norman! It was all based around a kangaroo who lived in a wardrobe and lived on micro noodles. I still have the vivid imagination. We did 8 issues of it and it was a bestseller in Missing (record store in Glasgow). I have copies of each issue if anyone wants a swatch. I should really try and put it online.

I spent 2 years studying music industry management at college. I wanted to be a tour manager. But I didn't really want to move to London at that point and our lecturer was crap and didn't help us with work experience or anything. So I went to work in a call centre instead.

I used to be in a band! We were called Stilgoes Heroes after Richard Stilgoe. My friend Nicki played drums, and 2 boys we were friends with, Stoph and Floyd, played guitar. Stoph sang. I have lost touch with them all apart from Nicki. I'd like to hear from Stoph one day he was very funny and was a regular contributor to furry norman. I played bass. I literally cannot remember a single note now. We had a great song called "Schwally at Joe's Mad Pad" all about a party at a guy on Nicki's uni course had in his flat.

Possibly the best holiday I have ever had was to the holiday camp where hi-de-hi was filmed. It took place when I was about 12, I think. It was blissful - horse riding every day, swimming in the Olympic sized swimming pool and dancing to Star Trekkin in the Hawaiian ballroom every evening. I recall rating it above our 3 week Florida/Disneyworld extravaganza. It may also explain my love of hi-de-hi.

I was quite an accomplished horsewoman in my youth. I had a pony or access to one for most of my formative/teenage years. I have won over 100 rosettes in my time! I must photograph these. I was a dab hand at musical cones in my time. I was slightly sportier in my youth, having been in both the school hockey and netball teams at one time or another.

I have a real issue with being clean. I don't know when exactly it started, but it's a relatively recent thing, to the last 8 years or so. I have my set routine for showering and drying my hair, etc each day and I really don't like to deviate from it. If I don't wash my hair at least, then I get into an unbearable grump and it literally feels like my skin is crawling. By lunchtime I am a quivering wreck. I'd love to go back to not being all that bothered (but still clean), but I can't do it. So if I refuse an invite to camp/stay with you if you don't have washing facilities, it's nothing personal :)

I come from a long line of divorcees. Every single one of my mother's family has either been divorced or seperated at one point or another, including my mother (and obviously, father). I aim not to continue the trend! Also, most of my family, including my mum, brother and dad are all left handed - I am the only (normal) right handed one.

As kids, we were lucky enough to be brought up with lots of music in our household. Both parents were big fans of AOR, which has left me even in adulthood able to sing practically every word to any Hall and Oates song. My mum seemed to have quite cool taste as a teenager - she saw Stevie Wonder live. I went to see my first band when I was 8. It was Bananarama at the Edinburgh Playhouse. We went to Pizzaland beforehand but I couldn't eat anything because I was too excited (nowadays I wouldn't be able to eat anything because pizza makes me hurl). I also saw New Kids on The Block as a youth, but I was over them by the time the concert rolled around. I went to my first grown up gig when I was 13 - to see, the shame, Aerosmith, with Steve Vai supporting. I seem to recall I quite enjoyed it. The band I have seen play most often is probably the Bluetones. The band I enjoyed live most is Rocket From The Crypt (my favourite band). My first date with my rockstar boyfriend when I was 17 was to see Sebadoh at the Garage. The last band I saw was Anthrax with my husband. :)

My best friend growing up was called Joanne. My best friend in adulthood is also called Joanne, but a different one. The first one turned out to be a lesbian. The second one, so far, has not.

When I was little, my parents took in a sick puppy called Ben. It was a very cute labrador. On my second birthday, as I got tore into Hungry Hippos in my grandparents living room, it died in my mother's arms in the kitchen. I can't remember it, but it makes me feel guilty to this day.

Call me morbid, but I rather enjoy going to the cemetery to visit my grandparents grave. I really miss them, despite them both dying before I was 10. My gran died of motor neurone disease when I was about 7 or 8. My grandad was quite a character - he used to make us milky way sandwiches - which was 2 slices of bread with a fun size milky way in the middle. With the wrapper still on. He broke his tooth on a Bounty once, I recall. He also set fire to my wee cousin's Popeye socks by trying to dry them in the microwave, back when microwaves were a new thing. He had 2 cats, Mitzi and Rudi - Rudi was saved from a bonfire which someone had thrown a litter of kittens on one bonfire night. Although he lived on the second floor of a block of flats, he used to be able to call the cats in for the night by standing on the balcony and whistling for them. We used to pretend that the cupboard under his stairs was Fraggle Rock. I still believe that it was.

posted by Claire @ 2/27/2007 03:12:00 pm | 9 comments |

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

9 Comments:

At 4:53 pm GMT, Blogger Catherine Black said...

I am the same about my hair. I have to wash it or else it feels like the end of the world. Until recently that is...if I'm in a huge rush I use Batiste dry shampoo. It is a godsend. I love it. I have to wear my hair in a ponytail if I use it. But generally, I still prefer my daily shower! x

 
At 9:21 am GMT, Blogger Unknown said...

There are lots of things there I never knew! I'm a terrible best friend and I can confirm that I am not, yet, a lesbian.

 
At 11:55 am GMT, Blogger Claire said...

I should add that there is nothing wrong with Joanne 1 being a lesbian!

 
At 2:11 pm GMT, Blogger Squirmy Popple said...

My first concert as a youth was Paula Abdul with Color Me Badd, which is much more embarassing than Aerosmith. What kind of name is Color Me Badd anyway? And what's with the two d's? It makes me shudder to this day.

 
At 11:03 am GMT, Blogger Gwen said...

How excellent to find another Glaswegian blogger - found your site on A Sea of Cheese

Gwen

 
At 1:21 pm GMT, Blogger Claire said...

Everytime I hear that color me bad song i cringe. but not as much as when i think back to aerosmith.

 
At 1:22 pm GMT, Blogger Claire said...

welcome aboard gwen! there are some more glaswegian bloggers over there in the links - go explore!

 
At 1:22 pm GMT, Blogger Claire said...

Oh, actually - I'm not glaswegian - but I do live here.

 
At 1:43 pm GMT, Blogger Gwen said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. I'm actually not technically Glasgowegian either but I work here and I live close by. I also used to do horseriding when I was younger but it is just a bit too expensive now. One of my pals in Edinburgh is still really into it though. Also I'm totally with you on the cleanliness thing. I can't go out of the house in the morning without having a wash. If I'm really forced to through getting up too late then I feel really guilty for the rest of the day. I'm also developing a funny thing whereby I'd rather not wash my hair in someone elses house if I'm staying over. I'm not too sure why this is and I know it's a bit odd but it's just the way it is.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

prettycraftythings - a monthly craft bazaar for indie designers and renegade crafters

The Softie Awards

Crafty Blogs

Scottish Blogs.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Powered by Blogger

design by marceline smith at diskant